I've been accused of being a tad too serious in this blog. Moi? Well ok then.
So, because I think everyone needs a lift right about now and because the world can often be a pretty funny place, I decided to post my list of the funniest books I know.
Go to your local library and check them out if you can't find them on the shelves at your local bookstore.
Note to everyone: support libraries, support bookstores!
Anyway to make my favorite funniest books list the book had to make me laugh out loud while reading it, at least a few times, and that's how I selected these particular books.
Your list of funny books might be different than mine, and PLEASE tell me about any funny books you like that are not listed here, because I want to know about them.
My Funniest Books List:
1. Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin. Steve is really not given his due as a writer, his books are hilarious.
2. The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. Another very funny book by Steve. All of Steves books are good, but these two are my favorites.
3. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Don't read this book while eating salad in a restaurant or you'll be snorting your lettuce all over the table like I did.
4. Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank by Celia Rivenbank. Celia is the kind of writer that makes you wish you could meet and become friends with so you could come over to her house for coffee every morning and she could tell you her stories and make you laugh so much you'd forget all your troubles. And probably pee your pants because you're laughing so hard.
5. My Point...And I do Have One by Ellen Degeneres. I laughed out loud so many times while reading Ellen's wonderfully funny book. Ellen is hilarious. Read this one if you can.
6. Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher. Another under-rated humor writer. Carrie is just plain funny!
7. The Compleat Practical Joker by H. Allen Smith. Much better than the title. This is another book I have to read alone in my house so people won't stare at me as I chuckle, giggle, snort, and guffaw my way through it's pages.
8. Naked by David Sedaris. If you haven't yet discovered David Sedaris your life isn't complete.
9. Brain Droppings by George Carlin. A humor master at work.
10. Letters From a Nut by Ted L. Nancy. A little gem of a book. Your funny bone will definitely be tickled.
11. More Letters From a Nut by Ted L. Nancy. Maybe even funnier than the first book.
12. Extra Nutty. Even More Letters From a Nut by Ted L. Nancy. What can I say, I love these Ted L. Nancy books. There's a rumor going the rounds that Ted L. Nancy is really Jerry Seinfield. I don't care who wrote them; I'd read them no matter what because they are very funny.
13. I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert. Love it!
14. Elvis is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself by Lewis Grizzard. Read this one and then read all his other books. If you haven't discovered Grizzard yet, you're in for a treat.